So whether you are selling your home, or fixing up a home you just purchased, these DIY kitchen ideas are relatively easy and inexpensive.
1. Painting walls and cabinets costs under $100 and with a little elbow grease your space will look fresh and updated. Consider using high-gloss paint for the cabinets so that they will clean with ease, and make sure that your brush strokes follow the wood grain.
2. Replacing the cabinet handles and hinges costs under $100. Cabinet hardware starts at about $1.00 for the knobs, and $2.00 for the handles. And, a good quality self-closing hinge costs a couple of bucks and eliminates the need for cabinet latches.
3. If you have ceramic tile and it’s in fairly good shape, you can decide to repair and re-grout the counter tops. Scraping out the old grout and installing new grout is a simple week-end project that costs well under $100.
4. If your counter tops are butcher block, you can sand them down and just lay down few coats of mineral oil to freshen them up. You could also decide to stain the wood a new color which will dramatically change the look of your kitchen for just a few dollars.
5. Another solution for butcher block is overlaying your existing counter tops with a coat of colored concrete, than re-do your back splash in small inexpensive tiles.
6. For about $100 you can change out your kitchen faucet. Make sure that the configuration of the new faucet resembles the old one, i.e. – single hole, three hole, and, maybe a fourth hole for a soap dispenser.
7. Consider storage solutions for your cabinets and transform your space from cluttered to organized. Simple, wire shelves make it possible to store extra mugs, or separate the dinner plates from the salad plates.
8. Drawer organizers make it possible to actually find your cooking tools, at the same time protect your hands from sharp edges. And, $100 can buy a lot of drawer storage solutions.
9. New light fixtures make a big difference for a minimal cost. Most of us can install new lighting, however, if you are uncomfortable dealing with electricity, you should be able to call in a licensed electrician for under $100.
10. Under cabinet lighting makes the whole kitchen seem brighter and helps when you are preparing and serving food. These days there are lots of under cabinet lighting solutions that use a minimal amount of electricity.
As you can see, there are a lot of DIY kitchen ideas that can be completed in a week-end or series of week-ends. For dramatic results, consider a rich new wall or cabinet color with new metal finishes for your hardware and faucet. And, if you are really brave, you can purchase appliance paint and refinish your appliances.
If you are getting ready to sell your home, be sure to contact a Century 21 M&M Real Estate Agent and get started!