John Melo, CEO of Century 21 M&M is challenging all Realtors to conduct Open Houses through out Northern California during the month of July 2011. Melo is watching for the most creative marketing techniques…who gets the most traffic, best social media promotion, best neighborhood invitations, email and postcard campaigns, etc.
Realtors that a successful Open House includes dropping off written invitations to 25 homes in the surrounding area, providing refreshments, and following up on leads that were generated during the Open House.
The Sales Manager for the Century 21 M&M Clovis office, Leslie Noll adds that internet marketing is important in today’s marketing environment and recommends that agents hosting Open Houses post on Facebook events, Facebook pages, Craigslist, Linkedin events and Twitter. She also recommends having on-hand, maps of all the Open Houses in the area and Century 21 Mortgage fliers and/or brochures.
With all of that being said, Century 21 M&M agents work with homeowners every day and advise their clients that preparing a home for the Open House is just as important as conducting the open house itself.
Here are a few tips:
- Clean your house, inside in and out so that it will pass a white glove test. Clear out the clutter and remove any furniture and stored items that are not necessary.
- Let in the light, open the drapes, turn on lamps and light fixtures.
- Maintain a pleasant indoor temperature (70F).
- Declutter kitchen counters, put away kitchen gadgets and small appliances and make sure your sink is empty.
- Set your dining room table, especially if you have nice linen or china.
- Remove personal valuables. Turn off the computer.
- Open windows, if possible, to let in the fresh air, or simmer spices on the stove, bake cookies, etc.
- Close all drawers and cabinet doors.
- Open all interior doors, except those of closets and pantry.
- Put down all toilet lids. Hang fresh towels in the bathroom.
- Take out the garbage. No stinky odors in house.
- Arrange the furniture so that it situated away from walls and opens up to invite people to sit down.
- If you have a fireplace, light it or light candles in it.
- Close the garage door and don’t forget to pay close attention to curb appeal. A potted flowering plant on the front porch is always a good idea.
- Leave the house so that your Century 21 M&M Realtor is free to deal with prospective buyers in a professional manner.
- Park your vehicles somewhere else. Your driveway and garage must not be occupied during a showing.